Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years Eve party

Went to a New Years Eve party last night at Mr D's sisters house. A small group of friends hanging out, playing guitar, standing around a brazier keeping warm. I took along a Red Bull.

Finding that I don't really even need a glass to hold now all the time.

Went into the kitchen at one point to make a cup of tea - it was lovely.

Everyone else was boozing .. every now and then a wave of people would head inside to do Tequila shots. I laughed at their puckered faces as they sucked on lemon at the end...

I didn't wish I was drinking like everyone else.. I was more concerned that I'd be too tired to wait up till midnight..

But the chat was fun, the music was lovely, the fire was warm, and suddenly it was twelve o'clock.

As we went around hugging each other 'Happy New Year!!' I noticed a few were seeming quite merry but it was an abstract observation rather than anything awful or awkward. Most of the time (unless they're outwardly displaying signs of drunkenness) I forget that people are under the influence.

Just doesn't really matter to me. I'm happy in my sober head space. Someone tweeted me 'enjoy partying YOUR way' just as I was leaving home and I thought that was such a great sentiment.

I did enjoy partying my way last night. Happy and sober. Sorry to be boring yet again but this is a blog about my drinking so I have to talk about that and when I talk about that I have to just keep repeating that I am very happy to be sober. Very.

And boy do I love driving home, dropping friends off on the way.

Happy 2014 everyone, I feel like this is going to be a great year.

Love, Mrs D xxx

12 comments:

  1. What was it Gertrude Stein said? Repeating loving, loving repeating!

    Hoping this will be a great sober 2014 for all of us and I look forward to reading your book.

    Now 5am on 1st January in a very hot and cloudless South Africa -- the pleasures of waking at dawn bright-eyed after a couple of hours sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking last night as we toasted with sparkling grape juice, that I am SO happy that I would not be waking up with a hangover. That never gets old!

    Happy New Year! Love and hugs to you and yours!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a weird experience when I forget that others are under the influence. I find myself studying them and wonder if they are having a better time than I am. But that is followed quickly by a comparison of their next morning to mine. I win lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. D, I want you to know that you are showing me the way to being comfortable in my own sober skin. I was never a drinker. I have never had an alcohol problem (ice cream is another story though) but my parents were terrible violent alcoholics and as you know, my daughter has had some significant substance abuse issues....so I am warped! I am weird when it comes to drinking and partying. I always feel on the outside...so thank you for sharing your many social non-drinking events with us here. I am reading and watching and thinking....so this is how its done. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you too Mrs D. I share your optimism about the year that is just starting too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful, Mrs. D. Very cool and that you felt so comfortable in your own skin. I too feel that this is going to be a turnaround year and a great one as well.

    Happy new Year!

    Blessings and hugs,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Mrs D. I am glad to hear that you had a great time at the party. Sending many hugs and ll the best for you and the family in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good sober New Years too :) Mine was lovely and low key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Mrs. D -

    I am so enjoying your blog!! I had several tries giving up last year and am now 4 days sober. This time feels very different and I am seeing much of my story in your journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am at 5 months sober but I just cannot for the life of me imagine myself feeling this way at a party. hope it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog. Gave up boozing for 5 years and it was wonderful. For some unexplicable reason I started again 5 years ago.(perhaps I got too smug) Decided to do a dry January this year, and the realisation dawned that I need to give up again but this time really for ever. Reading your blog is massively helpful in getting me back on track. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Partying my way" I love it. I also like drinking tea at parties!
    Keep up the good work, will look forward to the book.
    And thanks for commenting on my sobriety post, writing it helped so much it's great to get feedback!
    Happy 2014! xxx

    ReplyDelete